Wednesday 22 January 2014

Emeli Sande - Read all about it


When I first started thinking about the narrative project, which was before I actually received my brief, I was in my mums car at Christmas time and started playing made up scenes in my head of random videos and matching them with songs I liked as well. Even the love to some people is an ordinary topic, love can be an incredibly over powering for some people, obviously there are different types of love that might not make people feel like that. There is an unconditional between yourself and your family, a mothers love will go on forever, the strongest bond I feel is between a mother and her child. You love your friends, you may love food, clothes, shoes, pets, movies, books etc... the list can go on forever of what people say they 'love'. I personally love love! I don't know where I would be without it. What I do love the most is seeing people in love, over the years I've heard the word 'love' being flung around at times like it is nothing. I love a good old romantic love story, whether its with the typical chocolates, candles wine and dine stuff (which is not really my thing) or whether its something really simple like your partner leaving you a sticky note on your pillow saying he loves you. 

Basically whilst I was creating random made up love scenes in my head I was really racking my brains to find the perfect song to go along side it, I remember seeing on Britain's Got Talent a few years ago this incredible piece by a Hungarian shadow theatre group from called Attraction. I remember bursting in to tears at how powerful and emotional the performance was and it truly took my breath away. Their chosen narratives for one particular performance covered the basic's of life, love, romance, marriage and death. The song accompanied by the performance was Emeli Sande's 'Read all about it' the two combined is so overwhelming, bringing in their audience, creating all these different emotions of happiness and sadness. Its something every human being can relate to, we've all loved and lost throughout our lives, narratives are displayed through different types of media as we've all seen.

When you hear a certain song or look at a particular photo, it takes you back to a memory, it reminds you of people who may or may not be in your life anymore, it makes you reflect on the past and perhaps think about your future. I remember when I chose not to listen to a certain song for a few years because of all the emotion and memory that went along side it, I was sitting in a car with the radio on and the song started playing, I felt scared in a silly way, because I knew admittedly how I used to feel whilst listening to that song, I didn't turn the radio off I just kept on listening and instead of crying because I was sad, I just smiled to myself at how far I'd come since that certain time in my life. 

Narrative's are everywhere, hidden within music, photographs, videos and objects. You may forget most of your memories and think about them less then others, with memory attached to different types of media those memories are recreated for you to re-live all over again like a photographic slideshow playing only just for you to watch. 

Hollie xD

No comments:

Post a Comment