Thursday 16 January 2014

iMotion Experiment

I was just playing around  with my iPhone 5s on an app called iMovie, I started messing around with it and saw how much fun and also how easy it was to create a short movie or a pretend movie trailer. After experimenting with this app I started to think whether there was a time lapse or stop motion app on iTunes. I soon discovered  iMotion and iMotion remote, the short description on the apple store website says: Take pictures, edit your movie and export HD 1080p & 720p videos to your device or directly to Youtube. iMotion HD is an intuitive and powerful time-lapse and stop-motion app for iOS. Since starting university I've wondered what type of photography it is that I am actually interested in, what do I want to learn about, what makes me tick. When I discovered time lapse and stop motion photography I was really taken in by and the whole process of how 100's or even 1000's of images can been turned in to a video. I had never studied photography before I started uni, I just would point a shoot and be happy with what the result was, I've soon come to realise there is a lot to learn within the technical side of photography, it can be very over whelming as most of the time people want to perfect their work quickly and effectively.

For the narrative project I'm now deciding whether I should use my DLSR Nikon D5100 camera or should I use my iPhone 5s, I'm thinking maybe I should practice with both and comment on the negatives and positives of both media practices.

What does this mean for photography though? If you can do most things quickly on a high end phone? Is my phone better then using the long process of a camera, bigger tripod, computer editing etc...

I created a quick video driving to uni this morning in my boyfriends car, its a bit wobbly but I just wanted to test a quick experiment of how my iPhone creates a time lapse. As I have created small time lapse pieces in other projects I'm wondering what will be better for my narrative project. I'm thinking about buying a mini iPhone tripod so I can create quick time lapse or stop motion videos when I'm on the go on public transport. With a smaller device for capturing images I feel I might be able to capture smaller details as people might not notice I'm recording them, when you have a huge camera out people play up to the camera and don't act so natural. Will be an interesting experiment.

Hollie xD

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/imotion-hd/id421365625?mt=8


No comments:

Post a Comment