Tuesday 28 January 2014

Briony Campbell - The Dad Project

This was actually shown in one of my critical approaches lectures by Anthony Luvera, Photography and Death - (Essay question 'Photography is an agent of death - discuss')
This is similar to Ellen Nolan's work where their parent isn't very well and they are using their cameras to cope or understand the process of what them their selves are going through to see their parents going through dramatic changes and obviously for their parents to cope with, helping their children to come to terms with life's changes. I found her work very moving and emotional, her dad wanted to help her, even though he was the one who was terminally ill. He was afraid of leaving them behind, to not be there to support and guide them anymore. Throughout the video you grasp a strong idea of what type of person her father is, he's a strong man, who wants to take care of his family. I like how she has a video of mixed media of still images, audio recordings and video. Its a really beautiful piece of work. For this project we have to develop a digital and printed formats of our chosen narratives. Researching her video gives me a good insight to how to combined all the medias in a particular way. Even though my work won't have an in depth meaning as Briony's or Ellen's it shows me how I can present my work in a professional manner.  



The overview 

Being a good daughter to my dying dad was tricky. I struggled to find the balance between dedication to his needs and distraction from my grief. 
At first the idea of introducing a camera into this equation seemed unwise, but eventually I think it became the solution.
This is the story of an ending without an ending.
And I hope it always will be.

This is my attempt to say goodbye to my Dad with the help of my camera.

http://www.brionycampbell.com/projects/the-dad-project/
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/video/2010/apr/13/briony-campbell-father-cancer

No comments:

Post a Comment